Results 1 to 5 of 5

Thread: Digital Drops the Ball...

  1. #1
    HB Forum Moderator Alex's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 29th, 2000
    Posts
    11,383
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Talking

    Wow, I sure feel validated about my gripes about digital. I think Digital is great, but it's a sleazy technology because it can be watered down, diluted and in the process create false trails of evidence.

    Check This Out

  2. #2
    Inactive Member Chezdigtlstudio's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 12th, 2004
    Posts
    56
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Originally posted by Alex:
    Wow, I sure feel validated about my gripes about digital. I think Digital is great, but it's a sleazy technology because it can be watered down, diluted and in the process create false trails of evidence.

    Check This Out
    <font size="2" face="verdana, sans-serif">Hey, what's shakin'

    Super8 in the digital age, what an exciting forum! I love digital editing- (even though I wouldn't touch a digital camera with a 300 foot pole) you can edit, add your own sound and produce DVD's without having to do all that slpicing. Isn't it great? All I have to do is pay for film, developing & MiniDV transfer. Sweet.

    But when it comes time for the film festival showing, they have to use a digital projector, right? I've seen a few DV movies projected on the big screen and in all honestly, it just looks like c r a p! We're talking major pixelation, candy cane lines around edges, and even intermitant color noise. Horrible! I wonder if it would look that way with a digitally editied Super 8mm movie. ???

    I asked a film professional once if I could have my edited Super8 movie trasferred (blown up) from MiniDV or DVD to 35mm for play at theatres. He laughed and asked me what I thought would happen to an image that started out the size of a pencil eraser if it were blown up thousands of times. Needless to say I didn't inquire about it any further. But he did mention something called "digi-Beta", saying that if I shot in at least 16mm and editied on this Digi-Beta, that the computer output could then be transferred to 35mm with a minnimal loss of quality.

    But I wanna do super8! Isn't there a way?

  3. #3
    HB Forum Moderator Alex's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 29th, 2000
    Posts
    11,383
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Hey there chez.

    Yeah, Super-8 transferred to high quality video should look fine digitally projected.

    The flicker film festival in Los Angeles holds an annual Super-8 festival. The Super-8 films are transferred to BetaCam SP and projected onto a huge screen in front of 550 people.

    If your super-8 footage looks good to begin with, it will look acceptable digitally projected onto a big screen. The Super-8 frame may be small, but a mini-dv "frame" or even a BetaCam Sp frame is not exactly huge either.

  4. #4
    Inactive Member Chezdigtlstudio's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 12th, 2004
    Posts
    56
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Cool, thanks for replying.

    I just wanted to ask about the Flicker Film Festival. I've never submitted any of my stuff to a festival before, but that is my dream! YOu know I'm working on a short film right now and when I'm done I want to be part of a flicker festival. But what format do they accept, I mean I normally burn my movie on a DVD once I'm done editing it- do they take movies in that format?

    Thanks for the info [img]smile.gif[/img]

  5. #5
    HB Forum Moderator Alex's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 29th, 2000
    Posts
    11,383
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    I'm no expert on this but normally they project film however they also accept films that have been transferred to either VHS or DVD.

    I would "assume" that DVD is preferred.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •